Notebooks and pencils are treasures for families who struggle to afford basic school supplies. School kits often are requested after disasters and help bring normalcy to children whose families have been forced to flee their homes. During August & September we encourage you to put together school kits, drop them (or the supplies) off at our church and we'll deliver them to the MCC warehouse.
When putting together a school kit please don't forget to carefully follow these instructions about what to include:
Contents (NEW items only)
- Any combination of 4 spiral or perforated-pages notebooks (about 21.5 cm x 27 cm) totalling 500–600 pages, OR 7 spiral or perforated-pages notebooks (80 pages each; about 21.5 cm x 27 cm)
- 8 new unsharpened pencils (Please note: we have enough pencils & will add them to the bags)
- 1 ruler (flat, good quality; must indicate 30 cm; inch markings optional)
- 12 coloured pencils (in packaging)
- 1 large eraser
- 2 new black or blue ballpoint pens
- 1 small all metal pencil sharpener, one or two holes. All metal sharpeners can be found online Amazon.ca or in the art supply section of retail stores like Staples. Plastic case pencil sharpeners are not accepted because these are poor quality and do not last as long. If you cannot find all metal sharpeners please pack the kits without them and we will add the sharpeners.
School kits are distributed in a useful double drawstring cloth bag (30 x 43 cm/11 3/4 x 16 3/4 in). You may:
-Request bags we've already made or
-Donate contents that we will place in a bag.
Find out more about how to make school kits.